Songrite Copyright Office
Copyright Registration Service
Some pages on the Songrite © website include links to third party websites. These sites are governed by their own privacy statements, and Songrite © is not responsible for their operations, including but not limited to their information practices. Users submitting information to or through these third party Websites should review the privacy statement of these sites before providing them with personally identifiable information.
Personal details and information held by Songrite © will be subject to the principles and rules of the Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 October 1995 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data.
Data Protection Act 1998.
The Data Protection Act 1998 received Royal Assent in July 1998 and came into force on 1 March 2005. The Act gives effect to the EC Data Protection Directive (95/46/EC ).
The Act strengthens and extends the data protection regime created by the Data Protection Act 1984, which it replaces. This note summarises the main provisions. Further information may be obtained from the Office of the Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF - telephone: 01625 545745; or from Her Majesty's Stationery Office web site
Scope The 1998 Act applies to:
It applies to anything at all done to personal data ("processing"), including collection, use, disclosure, destruction and merely holding personal data. An enforceable good practice code Organisations processing personal data ("controllers") must comply with the data protection principles. These require data to be:
- fairly and lawfully processed;
- processed for limited purposes;
- adequate, relevant and not excessive;
- not kept longer than necessary;
- processed in accordance with individuals' rights;
- kept secure;
- not transferred to non-EEA (European Economic Area) countries without adequate protection.
As part of complying with the principles, controllers must:
- meet one of six conditions in order to process personal data;
- meet one of a number of further conditions in order to process sensitive data*;
- inform individuals when their data are collected.
* Sensitive data are data about a person's ethnic origins, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, health, sexual life and criminal history. Individuals' Rights. The Act gives individuals rights to:
- gain access to their data;
- seek compensation.
- prevent their data being processed in certain circumstances;
- "opt-out" of having their data used for direct marketing;
- "opt-out" of fully automated decision-making about them.
More information regarding Data Protection can be found by clicking this link
How do we treat E-mails you send us?
Many pages on our website; have a "Contact" button, which activates our e-mail form and invites you to send your comments to a specific functional mailbox.
When you send such a message, your personal data is collected only to the extent necessary to reply. If the management team of the mailbox is unable to answer your question, it will forward your e-mail to another service. You will be informed, via e-mail, about which service your question has been forwarded to.
If you have any questions about the processing of your e-mail and related personal data, do not hesitate to include them in your message.
The information contained within this site is offered as a consideration to visitors and at no time should the information be construed as legal advice; for all legal matters, we encourage our clients to seek the assistance of an attorney. The Copyright Office is not responsible for policing, or checking on registered works and their use, and cannot guarantee that the legitimacy of ownership or originality in a work registered with Songrite will never be questioned.
Terms & Conditions
Copyright © 2021 Songrite Copyright Office - Song Copyrights - Music Copyrights - Lyric Copyrights.
Copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author / composer plus a minimum of fifty (50) years.